By Karen Mehringer
Daily, we are bombarded by negativity. Fear based news and events are consistently broadcast through our media. Advertisements suggest that we don’t have enough and that we aren’t good enough just the way we are. A pervasive lack consciousness permeates our culture – not enough time, not enough money, not enough energy, not old enough or young enough, not thin enough. The list goes on and on. As a result, we often feel empty, dissatisfied, hopeless and depressed. We need a positive shift in consciousness and how we perceive ourselves, our world, and our circumstances. Participating in a daily gratitude practice will help create this shift.
When we align with the feeling of gratitude, we are uplifted. Our spirits sing joyfully as our hearts open to the beauty and goodness in life. Our perspective shifts from that of lack, to that of abundance. We are able to see the sweetness even in the darkest moments because we have faith in the process of life to renew its self. We begin to see there is a higher purpose that is even more magnificent than we can imagine. The possibilities for our lives are infinite! As we perceive the blessings even during the difficult times, gratitude is like a magnet, drawing more good to us.
During late summer last year, I was feeling depressed about the financial state of my business. I had spent a lot of time, energy and money on promoting my book and wasn’t seeing the return on my investment. When I shifted my perspective to recognize all of the abundance and prosperity already in my life, doors began to open and more good began to flow to me in terms of new clients and opportunities. A simple shift in my perspective from lack to appreciation for all of the richness in my life opened the door to a flow of abundance.
How do we shift our perspective to experience gratitude especially given the lack consciousness we are exposed to daily? First, we must realize that we have a choice about what we allow into our consciousness to begin with. For example, we can choose to limit the amount of fear based news we expose ourselves to on a daily basis. Next, we need to become conscious of our thoughts. One way to do this is to check in with your self on a regular basis through journaling and meditation. Notice what you are thinking and how you are feeling. When you notice a negative thought, say to yourself “stop” and shift your thinking to be more positive.
Other helpful tools include:
- Making a list of all that you are grateful for and placing is somewhere you can see it. This will help you to remember all of the good in your life and keep your thoughts focused on the positive.
- Keeping a gratitude journal in which you write about all that you are grateful for. Write in it twice a day, once in the morning upon awakening to start your day off in a positive place, and again at night. Write about all of the good that happened during the day. This will train your mind to look for the abundance that is all around you.
- Creating a gratitude board or collage. This is similar to a dream board, but with pictures, images and words of all the richness currently in your life, instead of what you don’t have and desire to manifest.
- Visualizing the abundance in your life during meditation and prayer, while giving thanks.
- Creating daily affirmations that support your current concerns. For example, if you are feeling discouraged or depressed, use the affirmation…”I radiate pure love and joy”. If you are feeling un-empowered in your life, use the affirmation…”I stand firmly in my power and speak my truth with love, compassion and conviction”. If you are concerned about finances, say…”I enjoy infinite prosperity.” Make your affirmation personal given your circumstances and write it on a 3×5 note card to display in your line of vision i.e. by your computer. Next, say the affirmation out loud as a mantra until you experience a shift in perspective. Allow yourself to feel the energy of the words as you speak them. It is more powerful if you start with “Thank You God/Spirit/Creator” as it implies that the affirmation has already manifested in your life and assists you to experience gratitude. While saying the affirmation, you may begin to yawn which is a good sign that you are releasing stuck energy. Further, emotions may surface to be cleansed and released.
As you consciously work to transform negative thoughts, emotions and energy into positive feelings, your life will transform and you will begin to experience a greater flow of love, joy and abundance.
“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity…. It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melodie Beattie